Is it just me or is it really hard to find a cup for your little one to drink from that doesn’t leak or that they like? So far, I counted 14 different kinds of sippy cups in our cupboard. So starts our quest for a good one!
My daughter either makes a mess with a cup or doesn’t like it because it’s hard to drink from. Between the soft tipped cups that children are supposed to drink from when they are transitioning from breastfeeding or bottle feeding to the ones that click when you get it on correctly and has a soft straw built in, to the ones that are more like a thermos with a built in straw that closes when you close the lid over it, none of them seem like the right fit for us.
The issues we have with the above mentioned type of children’s cup are the following:
- The soft tipped cups are bad for their teeth. I suffer such mommy-guilt with these because I still let my daughter use them. The lid stays on better than the toddler cups with removable lids. Still, I have to wonder if they are truly bad for her teeth and I spend lots of time trying to catch a glimpse of any issues with her teeth that may have resulted from using this type of cup.
- The toddler cups with a lid and normal straw take away the guilt about possible damage to my daughter’s teeth, but the lid comes off too easily. The ease with which my almost 3 year old can remove them often creates spills at the most inconvenient times.
- The thermos with a built in straw and easy press button for opening is very cool looking, at least, but when you open the straw, it flicks liquid everywhere. What a pain!
- Some of the sippy cups with a collapsable straw are too hard for my toddler to open by herself or she says they are too hard to suck the liquid out easily. What a pain to have to require that her teacher or I open it for her! I’m finally starting to enjoy some of the new found independence my toddler has.
Here’s some sippy cups on Amazon that I found to try. I’ll let you know what I find with my research.
- Kid Basix Safe Sippy Cup, The Original Stainless Steel 360 Sippy Cup, Pink, 11 oz by Kid Basix
- Zak Designs Toddlerific Perfect Flo Toddler Cup with Sofia The First. Mp-Spill by Zak Designs
- Clean Kanteen 12 oz. Stainless Steel Sippy Cup – Brushed Stainless
- Born Free BPA-Free Grow with Me 10 oz. Big Kid Spoutless Cup, 2 Count, Girl
Am I putting too much effort into the search for a perfect sippy cup? As a first time parent, I am starting to learn that whatever the issue is, it’s not lasting very long and then we move on quickly to the next challenge. Parenthood is the hardest job, but the one I’ve loved the most! Stay tuned for a product review of which sippy cup from the list above wins my daughter’s approval.